The great thing about bodyweight exercises is that you can do them anywhere, the biggest downside of bodyweight training is that you are limited in the amount of resistance you can use.
This is why we have incorporated these exercises that only use a resistance band! They’re easy to transport and you can use them to significantly increase the resistance in your bodyweight workouts to help challenge your muscles.
Below you’ll find a range of beginner, intermediate and advanced resistance band exercises. The exercises use three different types of resistance band: mini (a small looped band), max (a larger looped band, which is usually also thinner than a mini band) and flex (a strap band with two ends). You can also just get a flex band and knot it as appropriate for each exercise.
Beginner Resistance Band Exercises
Targets: Shoulders and chest
- Attach a max band to a stable object behind you.
- Step inside the band and hold it with your hands slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Keep your shoulder blades down and back, and engage your core and glutes.
- Your hips and knees should be slightly bent for balance.
- Push the band out in front of you.
- Fully extend your arms and squeeze your chest muscles.
- Slowly return to the start.
- Keep your chest up while performing the press and do not let your upper back hunch.